Yield: 4 servings
Time Estimate: 12 minutes overall, including 8 minutes of preparation and 4 minutes cooking
Storage Notes: serve immediately; keeps for 3 days when refrigerated
This is the type of recipe we love - beautiful, vegan, ready in 15 minutes, and made with only 5 ingredients. The simplicity of the recipe allows the natural flavors of the asparagus to shine, and the the garlic pepper rub adds satisfying tang and subtle tartness. Perfect as an appetizer or as a healthy side for a special meal.
- 2 large bunches of asparagus
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Gustus Vitae Garlic Pepper Rub
- 1 red onion
- Bonus Points: 1 lemon
- Rinse asparagus and cut 2 - 3 inches from tip.
- Add oil to large saucepan, heat on high until just before it begins to smoke.
- Place asparagus tips in pan, and sprinkle with Garlic Pepper Rub.
- Cook asparagus on high for 4 minutes, regularly turning and shaking the pan to ensure even browning.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Slice a large onion width wise, reserving rings with a circumference of around 2-3 inches.
- When asparagus has cooled sufficiently to handle, insert in rings until snug, and stand on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle plate with remaining Garlic Pepper Rub, and garnish with lemon slices if desired. Serve immediately.