Yield: 8 servings
Time Estimate: 60 minutes overall, including 10 minutes of preparation and 50 minutes cooking
Storage Notes: serve immediately; keeps for 3 days when refrigerated
These are the best mashed potatoes you will ever have. We'd like to take some credit here - part of the magic comes from the decadent fullness imparted by the Truffle Sea Salt, part from the beautiful deep color and rich flavor of our Red Wine Sea Salt. But mostly it comes down to technique - picking the right potatoes, over-boiling them, and mashing them by hand. This recipe is a little on the large side - expect it to go quickly and be ready to field requests for more!
- 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter (Smart Balance and Earth Balance both make good vegan alternatives)
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Sea Salt
- 3 tablespoons Truffle Sea Salt
- 1 cup full fat milk (soy milk works well but avoid almond or rice milk - they're a too little sweet)
- Peel and wash potatoes, and place in a large pot. Fill to around half an inch from the top with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, and keep it there for around 30 to 40 minutes. The object is to boil the potatoes to the point where they're almost mashing themselves, and fall apart on being just touched with a fork.
- Remove from heat, and strain. Return to pot. Add Truffle Sea Salt and butter, and begin mashing with a large fork.
- Once thoroughly mashed add milk, and continue mashing.
- Place in a large serving bowl, and sprinkle with Red Wine Sea Salt. For added effect, make a stencil out of a piece of paper and decorate to fit the season or occasion.
- Serve immediately, prepared to graciously accept incoming compliments from your lucky dinner mates.