Yield: 2 servings
Time Estimate: 13 minutes overall, including 5 minutes of preparation and 8 minutes of cooking
Storage Notes: serve immediately; sandwiches keep for 1 day when refrigerated
Perfect to pack for a picnic, our take on this classic sandwich gets a warm, peppery lift from our Taste of Cyprus spice blend. In our experimenting before we settled on this recipe, we discovered a couple things make all the difference to a sandwich like this:
- Make sure the bread is the best quality you can find
- Try not to over-boil the eggs, and
- Take it easy with the mayo
- 4 slices good bread (pumpernickel, if you have it)
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup arugula or fresh spinach leaves
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tablespoons Gustus Vitae Condiments' Taste of Cyprus
- A little butter for the bread
- A dash of vinegar to stop the eggs from cracking
- Fill a medium pot with water, add eggs, and a dash of vinegar. Bring to the boil.
- When pot has started boiling, set timer for 8 minutes.
- Rinse arugula/spinach, and chop roughly. Slice tomato into generous circular slices.
- Put bread in toaster, working in batches if toaster won't accomodate more than two slices.
- In a large bowl, add mayonnaise and Taste of Cyprus.
- As toast pops up, lightly spread on butter and set aside.
- When timer goes off, remove eggs from pot, strain, and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes to cool.
- Peel eggs, taking care to fully remove shell, and place in bowl with mayonnaise and spices. Mix with a large spoon until roughly blended: there should be small chunks of white remaining to give the sandwich some texture.
- Spread mixture on bottom piece of toast, layering with arugula/spinach, tomato slices, and topping with final slice of toast.
- Press downwards somewhat firmly to adhere sandwich, and slice diagonally. Serve immediately, or add to your picnic basket.